By Helen Reed, Chair, Region 3 Commission
Greetings from Region 3 Commission.
The Commission held an online meeting on September 12, 2018. We are trying to ensure that all our constituents have an opportunity to be part of this establishment of our Region. We are asking Calgary Presbytery to help us with the Office Location and other Presbyteries to consider hosting our first full Regional Council General Meeting together. It is important that we share the responsibilities and tasks … after all we are partners in this together 😊
Here are some of the items we have been working on:
- Staffing. Pastoral Relations Minister: the job description for a Pastoral Relations Minister is just waiting for final approval from the General Council. As soon as we have that it will be posted. Assistant to the Executive Minister: this position has been posted. We will also be looking for Office Support for our Regional Office and are hopeful later this fall that we might be able to have an additional staff person for Mission-related work.
- Regional Office. After some discussion, it was decided that it would be best to locate our Regional Office in Calgary, close to the airport and other amenities. We are asking Calgary Presbytery to help us find the best location. A wish list has been created – see attached. Our first thought was that perhaps there is a church that could offer us space. If you or your church has a suggestion for us, we would be pleased to hear from you.
- First General Meeting. Mark your calendars! Our first General meeting will be held June 7-9, 2019. Yes, we are aware that this is Pentecost weekend and, among other considerations, it seemed appropriate that we should use this time of celebrating the spirit blowing through our church. We will include a time for getting to know each other, business and a Celebration of Ministry. You may ask where? Well, we’re asking you that too! Because we are asking Calgary Presbytery to assist us in finding a location for the office, our other Presbytery members are asked to help us plan this meeting. Do you have a location that could hold up to 250 people? Do you know of someone or a team that would be willing to take on the role of planning coordination? This would probably be easiest if the primary planner is from the same place as the location.
- Our budget is getting a bit closer to finalized but we are still asking for your input. Each Pastoral Charge is asked to review their finances for 2019 (see the last Region 3 Letter). If we are to be able to support all of the projects being asked for, we are considering asking for an additional .5% to be added to your 4.5% 2019 allocation. Would your Pastoral Charge support such an addition? Thank you to those who have already forwarded their feedback to us.
- Mission and Support Grants. We have received some applications for 2019 Mission and Support Grants. These Grants must be approved by Presbytery before you forward them to myself or Doug Goodwin (email@example.com). We have asked to receive them by October 15, 2018. It is our goal to review applications and make our decisions by the end of October.
- Name your region. We need to choose a name for our Region. Do you have a suggestion? Send me your suggestion and the reason why you think it fits 😊 We are hoping to make a final decision in November.
We encourage each Pastoral Charge to help us make informed decisions by responding to our requests for information.
We meet again by Conference Call on September 24th and October 9th, 2018.
If you have questions for the Region 3 Commission please be in contact with me.
Rev. Helen Reed